Wednesday 20 September 2017

Adversary Or Advocate?




I was recently invited to a blogger brunch, organised by the fabulous Cathy Martin (PR queen & director of Belfast Fashion Week). She put on a lovely morning for us and gave us the opportunity to get to know one another. It was held in the beautiful location that is Gallery Café in Belfast - the most amazing space filled with stunning artwork! They were extremely hospitable and provided us with delicious food. There were so many inspiring people and I met lots of amazing individuals.

It got me thinking...

In an often competitive world it can be easy to forget that we're all human and we need a little encouragement every now and again, granted some more than others. However, sometimes pride steps in and encouraging someone doesn't even cross our minds. At the brunch, we each shared (including me, as terrified as I was) our experiences, tips and struggles with people who have a similar goal; creating a blog that can help people feel good, gain tips and maybe even be successful. Yet, it didn't feel competitive. I was left feeling refreshed, inspired and motivated; realising that had I stopped to consider what might be going through their heads (nerves, self-deprecating thoughts, lack of motivation or simply how they can better their blog or themselves) I may have come to the conclusion that we were all, in fact, in the same boat. For me, that was all the encouragement I needed.

Encouragement can come in many different forms. I received some encouragement in a way that I least expected it. As I was flicking through my 'Red' magazine an image caught my eye. I had a closer look and in the top corner of the image was my Instagram handle - what?!?!?! I was met with the realisation that what I'm doing is actually pretty good. My Instagram picture was worthy of a mention in a top magazine (not to mention one of my favourites). It can be as simple as a message from a friend or like me, your photo in a magazine. 

So from here on out, let's be on the same team. Let's cheer each other on. Let's not compete... Let's simply encourage. Let's be advocates not adversaries. 



SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I think it's great to stop to think sometimes about how others in the same situation as you are feeling. Sounds like an interesting event.

    http://ohduckydarling.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Katie! It's all so true. We're all in this together and there's room for us all so there's no point in competing with each other. I always try and support others even if it's only as simple as retweeting their links!

    Lauren | Lauren the Daydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post! Especially with all the negativity on twitter and in articles about everything at the moment, support and encouragement can sometimes be hard to come by and even harder to accept sometimes <3

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig