Sunday 7 May 2017

It's been a while...


It's been a while since I've written a blog post and I hardly know where to begin! To keep things simple I thought I'd update you post-surgery.

In my last post I mentioned that I was getting spinal surgery on the 11th March, which I did. This involved straightening my 's'-shaped spine with two metal rods and screws. However, it didn't quite go to plan as they lost my nerve traces after putting in the second rod, meaning I could've been left with paralysis. They detached the second rod and stitched me back up. I then had to lie flat for three days until they could operate again. The second operation thankfully went well but due to the loss of a lot of blood and an infection I ended up in the Intensive Care Unit for 3 days. From being high on morphine to learning to walk again; it was an interesting few days to say the least.

I returned to my little room on the ward and made a pretty quick recovery, shocking most of the nurses! After a hell of a lot of pain, wobbly walking and sleepless nights, I was finally discharged from hospital on day 12! I returned home the day after (a rather nerve racking flight) and it was the best feeling ever! 

10 weeks down the line, I'm pleased to say that I'm doing well - the pain has eased, my organs are getting used to their new positions and my brain is adjusting to my new shape! I'll be wearing a brace for 6 months, which is just the height of fashion! 

As well as updating you all, I wanted to give credit to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, London. I was truly blessed to have had one of the best consultants in Europe and an amazing team of nurses, doctors and physios. Thanks to these incredible people my time in hospital was a little less scary and at times even enjoyable - can't believe I'm admitting that! The transformation of my spine is incredible (gaining 3 inches in height)...and I now have an 16 inch scar to show off! 

Feel free to ask any questions! Hope you're all keeping well and I'm excited to get back into blogging x


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig